scsi troubles

Mike Hunter mhunter at ack.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 20 16:14:02 UTC 2006

On Apr 20 at 11:37, "Stas Khromoy" wrote:

> hey folks
> we've been getting scsi errors during tape backups using dump.
> most of the time the backups complete without any problems
> but once every 20-30 or so  runs
> we get an error like the one bellow
>
> we are running
> dell poweredge 2600 with powervault 114t LTO2 tape drive
>
> FreeBSD  5.4-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p7 #2:  Fri Oct  7 22:49:12
> EDT 2005  i386
>
> bellow is the error
> and some other handy info (let me know if this isn't enough)

[snip]

Do you know for sure if the backups are failing?  It's possible the dump
card states are harmless.  I have some systems that do a dump card state
on boot but that have never exhibited an actual problem.

Another suggestion is to check if you have the latest firmware for both
the tape drive and the controller.

Still more people will probably say that there is bad voodoo between
whoever your controller vendor is and whoever your drive vendor is.

Mike