Horrible: Apache corrupting files?

Ben Paley ben at spooty.net
Thu Apr 20 10:17:57 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have Apache 2 running on FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE on a laptop on a small
office lan. Whenever one of the other machines (mostly Macs) makes a request
for a certain page on my machine, it is delivered succesfully but the file
itself is absolutely scrambled beyond recognition into a binary file.
Subsequent requests rescramble it into a different but equally nonsense
binary.

I've looked with a binary editor and it really is completely messed up. I can
restore the file from a good archive copy, but every time the same thing
happens.

The file was originally created on a mac by Flash (it's a 1.1k html file which
just embeds a flash movie). Recently I copied it to and from a Solaris box
via ftp from an Windows NT machine (although it wasn't opened afaik - a long
story, clearly, which also involves a usb flash drive...).

Anyone have any ideas? The file itself is inconsequential, but the fact of
such blatant and relentless data corruption is very worrying to me! I don't
know if it's the file or my system or some combination... I'd really
appreciate some advice, I've been staring at it for two days and I'm starting
to bite my nails...

Thanks a lot,
Ben