Getting A Kernel Dump

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Apr 20 02:24:21 UTC 2006

Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> I have a 6.0 system running on a P3 550 that
> is rebooting every now and then due to a
> trap 12 error.  I've followed the steps at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html
>
> for getting a crash dump but I'm not getting dumps.
> Here's the relevant line from rc.conf:
>
> dumpdev="/dev/da1s1b"
>
> And it seems to be OK as dumpon has no problem
> when I set this manually:
>
> blacksheep# dumpon -v /dev/da1s1b
> kernel dumps on /dev/da1s1b
>
> My swap partition is 750 MB and the total system
> memory is 384 MB.  Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew

Unfortunately, no.  Read this today, though:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/03/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/04/04/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

Since I've not read the handbook section you mention, I can't
say if it's duplicate info or not.  But this was pretty good stuff,
as Michael's stuff always seems to be....

KDK

--
Blessed are they who Go Around in Circles,
for they Shall be Known as Wheels.