KDE + GNOME?

MBGaskins at co.berkeley.sc.us MBGaskins at co.berkeley.sc.us
Wed Apr 19 21:03:24 UTC 2006

David J Brooks <daeg at houston.rr.com> wrote on 04/19/2006 04:30:16 PM:
> I have both Kde 3.5.2 and Gnome 2.12 installed. I don't actually use
gnome,
> but I need several parts of it as dependencies for other packages that I
do
> run, and having enough drive space to do so, I just keep the whole thing
up
> to date. Both run without any problems.
>
> FWIW, I have the opposite opinion from Paul on which is prettier. I
think Kde
> is much more attractive than the rather spartan Gnome environment.
>
> David

I've got both KDE and Gnome working fine on my Gentoo system at home (I
use FreeBSD for server use more than desktop), and they play together just
fine.

As yet another oddball opinion on the subject, I find KDE to be
graphically prettier, but Gnome has a better "flow" to it.  It's a bit
more subdued (KDE seems to be very "in your face").  Also, the rendered of
KDE just seems to mess stuff up more often.  Desktop icon labels are cut
off in the middle of a word  for example, or toolbar icon labels have an
"off center" appearance to them.  I used KDE almost exclusively since
Mandrake 5.1, but I've switched to Gnome as my primary interface as of
Gnome 2.10.

Mike