KDE + GNOME?

Duane Whitty duane at greenmeadow.ca
Wed Apr 19 18:35:40 UTC 2006

Duane Whitty wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm contemplating installing GNOME .  I am currently
> using KDE.  Does anyone know of any issues I should
> be aware of before I proceed.  I'm mostly concerned
> about dependency issues, especially wtih respect to the
> xorg clients and firefox.
>
> Essentially I would like to be able to choose which
> environment I am going to run on a per-session basis.
> Any hints, pointer, RTFMs, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Duane Whitty
Perhaps I should be more clear.  Is there anyone reading
who currently has KDE 3.5.x and GNOME 2.12.x installed
concurrently on their systems?  Did you experience installation
problems with respect to dependencies?   Are you able to choose
between running KDE and GNOME as simply as by running
startkde or startgnome (or whatever the start gnome command is)?

I like KDE and some of its applications and I don't necessarily wish
to switch to using something else exclusively.  I have many good
things about GNOME and would like to try it out.  I want to be able
to switch back-and-forth whenever I want.  Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks for your responses.

Sincerely,

Duane Whitty
duane at greenmeadow.ca