How do you tell pkg_add to just download the packages ?

Duane Whitty duane at greenmeadow.ca
Wed Apr 19 06:03:37 UTC 2006

Low Kian Seong wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I come from a debian background, and in debian you can pass an argument to
> apt-get to tell it to download all the packages first without installing
> them first, is there a similar argument that I can pass to pkg_add ( I want
> to use binaries ) or are there other tools I can use ?
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

Try portupgrade(1)  (man 1 portupgrade)

# cd /usr/ports
# portupgrade -NFPPv  name-of-package

This says this may be a new installation "N"
Go get the files (packages), do not install anything "F"
Use packages only, fail if packages not available "PP" (important to use
two upper-case Ps here)
Be verbose "v"

If you also want to fetch dependencies you can add -R.  This will
recurse through all
the dependencies the new package needs

# cd /usr/ports
# portupgrade -NFPPRv  name-of-package