x?

eoghan freebsd at redry.net
Tue Apr 18 20:03:08 UTC 2006

eoghan wrote:
> Hi
> Today I logged in to my freebsd 6.0 box and typed startx as i normally
> do, which starts my gnome session. Now today its stopped working.
> It should start gnome, but now all i get it the x cursor on the
> grey/black screen and i dont know how to exit out...
> Once I ext out is there a file i can access to get an idea of whats
> going on so maybe i can get some additional help?
> startx as root works just fine.

Ok to reply to myself:
x just quit itself after about 3 mins (too impatient!)...
the error is:
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: Server error.
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: error in locking authority file /home/ej/.Xauthority
This was working fine, but just today it has stopped working. Only thing
i have installed since was sudo.
sudo startx works, but loads the root session, i would prefer my own...
Any ideas?