CPUTYPE Optimizations

Brian McKeon backyard1454-nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 04:55:02 UTC 2006

Bradford Fisher wrote:

>Gathering information as I begin building my optimized make.conf, I
>collected from my sysctl output that I'm running on an Intel Pentium(R)
>4 2.53 GHz processor.  I was wondering what architecture would be best
>applied to the CPUTYPE flag.
>
>Thanks,
>-Brad

CPUTYPE=pentium4
or
CPUTYPE=pentium4m
for a mobile chip

seems logical. however it depends on the type of pentium 4 you have.
There is one chip with more bells and whistles (SSE3 I believe) that has
a specific CPUTYPE associated with it you'd have to check out GCC's
website and lookinto the -march option I know the optimized p4 has a
different name from the general p4 variants, but its exact name escapes
me as I only have the general run of the mill version.

brian