SOLVED: On-board video card config

Enigma thaenigma03 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 17 21:17:03 UTC 2006

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 07:35:56 -0500
From: Kevin Kinsey <kdk at daleco.biz>
Subject: Re: On-Board video card configuration.
To: Enigma <thaenigma03 at hotmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org

Enigma wrote:

>I am fairly new to FreeBSD, and I have been having problems with my
>IBM Aptiva 2196-24A in getting the on-board video card configured with
>freeBSD. So i can run X window system at a decent resolution. All i can
>get to work is Standard VGA driver at 640x800 at 8bit. I have had this
>card working properly (win2k, ubuntu) so it is fully operational. The
>on-board chipset is SiS 540, and due to freeBSD not supporting this with
>options in the config menu, how can i go about setting it up to work?

In no particular order, what about:

   1.  Tell us more about what you've tried.

   2.  Post your configuration file.

   3.  Read the documentation at the Xorg site, or the manpage(s).

   4.  Peruse /var/log/Xorg.*log files for clues.

   5.  Xorg -configure  ?

To hazard a guess, I'd suggest defining the proper Sync
and Refresh rates for your monitor and setting up a better
"screens" block with a higher resolution and bit depth.

Here's part of one of my configuration files:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "ProView"
        ModelName    "760N"
        Option      "DPMS"
        HorizSync    35.0 - 70.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
EndSection

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes "1280x1024"
                Modes "1600x1200"
                Modes "1024x768"
        EndSubSection

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

I solved with problem by running standard VESA drivers from the xorgconfig menu, this allowed me to run 1280x1024 at 24 bit depth (havent tried higher, its on an older monitor).
Thankyou for the help Kevin.