Newbie question - using sysinstall "Upgrade an existing system" - easy?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Apr 17 15:40:05 UTC 2006

> What actually happens when you use "Upgrade an existing system" in
> sysinstall?  Do you end up with the X-server, etc., all functioning
> as before, or is there a lot of cleanup to do afterwards?

X doesn't get automatically updated by that path; just the base
system.  So your old X setup should work fine; it will be untouched.
Of course, upgrades are *always* a good reason to have an *extra* set
of backups.

> (In my case, this would be from 6.0 to 6.1, whenever the release version of
> 6.1 comes out. I am getting DMA errors in trying to install a second drive,
> and posts from this list give the impression that changing versions may make
> a difference.)

It's possible.  Not likely, though; among the several more-probable
fixes, the Most Likely would be a new IDE cable.