/boot at beginning of drive

Beech Rintoul beech at mangohealth.org
Sun Apr 16 20:24:40 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 April 2006 11:59, Brendan Grossman wrote:
> [...]

It's not a good idea to put everything on the / filesystem.
At a minimum I would have:
/
swap
/var
/usr

Your users will not fill up /var unless you allow them unlimited mail,
databases or access to root. User's tempfiles will go to /usr/tmp. On a
system with many users, you should consider a /home slice with quotas on that
and your mailserver set to deliver mail to the users file. Remember not
everyone is going to max out their filesystem so quotas can be set to
reasonable values. There are many good reasons to separate those filesystems,
disk performance and crashdumps being just two. Having many users is NOT a
good reason to combine filesystems. You need to rethink your diskspace or add
another drive for /home or /usr. The handbook has a good section on this.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at mangohealth.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Mangohealth
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - XanGo - http://www.mangohealth.org