Improving kde perfomance...

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Apr 15 19:15:40 UTC 2006

Paulino Calderon wrote:

>> Hey folks, Ive been googling about howto improve kde perfomance, i ve
>> always
>> used fluxbox as my wm but recently I got a new laptop, it has a 3.2 ghz
>> processor, 1 gb of ram, and an ati mobility radeon x600 wiith 256 mb of
>> video meomry so I decided to try kde but so far the perfomance has benn
>> really poor, cpu usage is always between 20-25% eventhough im not doing
>> anything, most apps takes between 5 and 10 seconds to start, and even
>> the
>> mouse pointer feels like it gets stuck when i move it too fast, is
>> this as
>> fast as it gets for kde? or do you guys think there is osmething
>> wrong with
>> my installation? I instaleld it via ports by the way.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.

Are you quite certain that KDE is to blame?  If you run flux on this
laptop, is everything "normal"?  Seems a jump in logic to assume it's
KDE if that's all you've ever run on a brand spanking new machine;
but, you weren't specific about this.  Try another WM and see if the
problem evaporate; that should at least give you a starting point to
know what to look for.....

Kevin Kinsey

--
One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.