freeBSD user

Benjamin Lutz benlutz at datacomm.ch
Sat Apr 15 11:33:23 UTC 2006

On Saturday 15 April 2006 12:08, astalus razvan wrote:
> Hy.Sorry if I disturb you.My name is Marius ,and i am a FreeBSD user.I love
> this OS.A few days ago I've installed freeBSD on an Pentium 2 machine at
> 233 Mhz,with a Realtek RTL\8019 network card.I've configured the network
> card but there is a problem.I can ''ping'' myself,but I can't ''ping''
> anyone on the LAN.I can't see computers on LAN,but when i scan myself from
> another computer with 'LANguard' i can see my IP, my MAC,my open ports.Note
> that ''ifconfig'' command says that everything is OK , LAN uses DHCP and
> many computers on LAN uses Windows OS.

First, here's the relevant section in the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html

Now, for network connectivity to work properly, you need three things: The
interface must have an IP assigned to it, you need routing information
(usually that means that you need to set a default route yourself, routing
for your subnet is configured automatically when you set an IP), and last
you'll probably want to have a DNS server set.

If you are using DHCP, you need this entry in /etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
and everything should work. If you don't have DHCP, or you wish to check the
settings you got through DHCP, do this:

* You can see your current IP by typing "ifconfig". You can assign a new IP
  with "ifconfig rl0 1.2.3.4". You can automatically assign an IP on startup
  by adding the following line to your /etc/rc.conf:
  ifconfig_rl0="inet 1.2.3.4 netmask 0xffffff00"

* You can see the current default route (also referred to as default gateway)
  by typing "netstat -rn". The line starting with "default" (or 0.0.0.0 on
  Non-FreeBSD systems) is your default route. If you don't have one, you can
  set one with "route add default 1.2.3.4". The IP you specify there should
  be the IP of your firewall or router. To make this setting apply on startup,
  add this line to your /etc/rc.conf:
  defaultrouter="1.2.3.4"
  Again, the IP there is your router's IP.

* You can see the currently set DNS server by looking at /etc/resolv.conf.
  You can add DNS servers my modifying that file. A correct entry looks like
  this:
  nameserver 4.2.2.4

If these settings are all correct, and you still don't have connectivity, the
cause is one of the following:

* Your networking card is broken. Your Realtek card is of extremely low
  quality, and they break frequently in unexpected ways. I know, I've had it
  happen to me too.

* You have a firewall active on your FreeBSD system. FreeBSD ships with three
  different firewalls. The simplest thing is to disable them for now.
  PF you can disable with the "pfctl -d" command. IPFW you can disable with
  "ipfw disable firewall". And last, ipf you can disable with "ipf -D".

* Your IP settings are simply incorrect, but you don't recognize that. If you
  still haven't solved the problem by now, post some more details, like
  the output of the "ifconfig" and "netstat -rn" commands as well as the
  general layout of your LAN.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Benjamin