persistent mixer volume levels (solved)

David J Brooks daeg at houston.rr.com
Fri Apr 14 21:42:57 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 16:21, David J Brooks wrote:

> Curious! I wrote up an rc.d script that seemes to work fine on reboot. I
> get console messages confirming that volume has been changed. But as soon
> as I log in, either as root or a normal user, I type 'mixer' and it shows
> the volume levels back where they were before.
>
> I'm guessing that there is something else either in rc.d or in the login
> sequence that is setting the mixer after my script runs. Any ideas what
> that might be?

Heh.. I should have explored more before asking. It all comes down
to /etc/rc.d/mixer. This script resets all the volume levels from a saved
state. The way to change it, (with persistence) is to set the mixer levels
manually, then run '/etc/rc.d/mixer stop' which saves the current state.

Fortunately I named my unnecessary script 'volume' so that it hasn't
overwritten the canonical /etc/rc.d/mixer script. :)

David
--
Sure God created the world in only six days,
but He didn't have an established user-base.