stop/start services

eoghan freebsd at redry.net
Wed Apr 12 19:46:36 UTC 2006

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> eoghan wrote:
>
>> I asked a question about stopping/starting tomcat, but I suppose I didnt
>> ask it right.
>> What I should have asked is:
>> How do I stop/start services that I have enabled in my rc.conf, such as
>> mysql, tomcat etc. I have tried from my rc.d/ with tomcat but it will
>> not work for me...
>
> Like this:
>
>     /usr/local/etc/rc.d/tomcat.sh start
>
> If that doesn't print out anything then double check what's in /etc/rc.conf
> If the service apparently starts up, but then you find it's not running
> a few seconds later, then check any log files that application uses -- it's
> quite often the case that there's a configuration fubar somewhere that is
> causing the service to give up.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Hi Matthew,
Well I have the service enabled in my rc.conf... so going to
localhost:8180 shows me the default tomcat page saying its working
etc... the jsp examples work fine.
When i try /usr/local/etc/rc.d/tomcat55.sh stop
i get:
tomcat55 not running? (check /var/run/tomcat55.pid)
Thats it. tomcat55.pid contains 2039.
I created a jsp file with just plain html in it... but when i browse to
it I get a HTTP 500 error (exception report).
I have the file in the correct place according to the docs so Im not
sure why is not working... I have originally some small piece of jsp but
figured Id have to restart the server in order for it to work, which is
what Im trying to do now...
Thanks
Eoghan