make buildword problem/documentation

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Apr 12 10:43:18 UTC 2006

On 2006-04-11 18:27, Jim Stapleton <stapleton.41 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, thanks, I won't worry about it then.

Cool.

> I just like to have everything as optimised as possible. Guess it'll
> have to wait here...

There are cases when things break in one or another way if you enable
optimizations for all the builds, in make.conf.  The warning near the
description of CFLAGS in `/usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf' is there
exactly to avoid this sort of thing:

# Note that optimization settings other than -O and -O2 are not recommended
# or supported for compiling the world or the kernel - please revert any
# nonstandard optimization settings to "-O" or -O2 before submitting bug
# reports without patches to the developers.

So, unless there is a measurable performance gain which doesn't also
result in strange build- or runtime errors, I guess you don't need to
worry about it too much :)