Noise On Screen

Jeff Molofee nehe at cruzinternet.com
Wed Apr 12 04:55:25 UTC 2006

I hope I'm not driving everyone crazy by posting the same problem over
and over, but I have yet to receive a reply, suggestion, thought, etc.

I am running RELENG_6. I have been using FreeBSD since 4.x. I have had a
lot of weird issues through the years, but this is one I am not able to
resolve.

If I enable cups or webmin, I get a small line of random graphics across
the top of my screen. The line does not affect the system stability, but
it's extremely annoying. It takes up anywhere from 10 to 20 lines of my
display, and displays random colors from red, green, blue to purples and
yellows.

I attempted to post a picture with my last post on this issue, but
pictures appear to be forbidden in the list. I did however find a page
that seems to document the problem, although the way the problem happens
is different from how I trigger it on my system.

The URL is here: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=usb/95348

A quick quote:

        Unplugging the USB keyboard causes a thin and irregular
	horizontal stripe appear near the top of the screen (xorg
	6.9.0) across almost all its width.  Moving the mouse (either
	USB or PS/2) causes this noise to change shape.  The
	consistency of the system doesn't seem to be affected by this
	stripe, though.  Occasional random characters have been
	noticed coming from the USB keyboard, like a stuck key, once
	replugged, but I couldn't repeat it reliably.

	The noise on the screen is of one uniform colour (red on my
	desktop, green on my laptop).

	Looks like someone is spilling data on the frame buffer.

This is exactly what I see, but on my system it is not triggered by USB
devices.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix? I don't mind not
having webmin, but cups is fairly important.