Wanted: Flash player for <browser_of_choice>....

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Wed Apr 12 03:14:59 UTC 2006

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:52:05PM -0500, Eric Schuele wrote:
>> Gary Kline wrote:
>>> 	I've done some hacking the past few weeks on tools to aide
>>> 	HTML stuff for books I'll soon put up, so I haven't quit
>>> 	programming altgether.  Sooooo: what's the consensus on
>>> 	*us* andor the open-src community getting together and
>>> 	doing our own free version of this shock/flash stuff?
>> There are a few in ports.  Though I was hoping (via this thread) to get
>> opinions on which were good.  Presently, I'm experimenting
>> (unsuccessfully) with gnash.
>>
>>> 	I'm read to volunteer.
>>>
> 	What is gnash? (Or should I just poke around!)

Actually, after a bit more poking.... gnash seems to be all there is
(someone please correct me).  All the other projects appear to have a
common source.... and many of those devs are moving to gnash?

gnash can be found at :
   http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
and there is a port:
   graphics/gnash

I've installed the port.... yet got nothing useful out of it yet.  The
project's goal AFAIK is to produce a firefox flash plugin.  Supposedly
the port and plugin do work (to some extent) on FreeBSD.... I'm just
having no luck yet.

--
Regards,
Eric