upcoming release 6.1: old version of some core components

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Apr 11 15:58:46 UTC 2006

No at SPAM@mgEDV.net wrote:

>>I can't answer you main question, but I would say that you can bet your
>>shirt on the fact that there will be no known security issues in the
>>older packages.
>>

>>At least for openssl and openssh you can get latest versions through the
>>ports.  Not an option for everything -- I see no zlib for example and I
>>don't believe there's a standard cvs port either.
>>

>as for zlib i definitely know, that there are 2 security flaws, which can
>lead to problems when invalid compressed data is feeded.

If you believe that's the case then tell the security officer.  My bet
is that the version with FreeBSD 6 is patched, but you shouldn't take my
word for it. http://www.freebsd.org/security/
You'll notice there that there were zlib patches to 5.X series before
6.0 had even been released.  So those patches would already be in 6.0
and now 6.1, unless someone goofed badly.

>my problem also is not the installation of ports/packages/custom compiles,
>it's more that the operating system components itself are linked against
>these older libraries an therefore will contain bugs, which may have been
>already solved.
>i definitely don't want to install openssl twice on the same host, as this
>make's no sense for me. if the os operates with the old version, security
>is at that level at all, regardless of one or another userland-daemon having
>a newer version being linked to.

When you install openssh or openssl from the ports you can choose to
*replace* the current FreeBSD libs etc.  There are many threads that
have dealt with this in the past.

However, I will say again, FreeBSD has a CVS security branch for a
reason - because security bugs get fixed on it.  The older versions may
lack *features* but I myself am confident that they do not have known bugs.

--Alex