[freebsd-questions] ndis setup

hernan hernan.silberman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 14:12:52 UTC 2006

On 4/11/06, Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de> wrote:
> My hint is to post slightly more information.
<snip>
> Fabian

Thanks again.  I figured this out, and am posting to help others who
might want to use this card (Linksys WMP54G).  Keep in mind that I'm
new to FreeBSD (using 6 RELEASE):

1) I was initially trying to use NDIsulator the way the manual says,
by manually running cvtndis.  During that trial and error process, I
ended up with a configuration that was missing if_config.ko.  To get
back to a good starting point I did decided to rebuild both ndis and
if_ndis.

cd /sys/modules/ndis; make; make install;
cd /sys/modules/if_ndis; make; make install;

At this point, I was able to simply load the ndis module.  if_ndis was
automatically loaded as I verified using kldload (lots of the examples
I found show separate load commands for each).

2) I ran through the "new way" of building the module to wrap my
Linksys driver, using ndisgen.  I had only three files on my CD:
Rt61.INF, rt61.sys, rt61.cat.  I ignored the cat file, convinced after
some googling that it was not a binary the driver needed at runtime.

3) During the load of this third kernel module, I kept getting an error:
  failed to load /compat/ndis/rt2561s.bin
I searched my driver cd for this file and it was not there.  Finally,
I Googled it and after a while found myself looking at the ralink
support page:
http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm

Under firmware, they have a link to a zip file with the magical
rt2561s.bin file.  I burned this onto a cd (the only way I had to get
files onto my new BSD system), and placed it in /compat/ndis.

One more kernel reload... and things now work fine.

Hopefully these instructions will help others who wish to use the very
popular Linksys WMP54G card on BSD 6.

thanks again,
hernan