/etc/resolv.conf with 3 nameservers

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon Apr 10 17:04:22 UTC 2006

guru at Sisis.de wrote:

>El día Monday, April 10, 2006 a las 04:07:34PM +0100, Alex Zbyslaw escribió:
>

>>There's nothing to stop you configuring that local nameserver to use
>>your two "backups" for names that it cannot resolve.
>>
>>You could then leave the two backups in /etc/resolv.conf but if your
>>local nameserver is authoritative for your local domain, then you
>>probably want to know if it goes away, and those backups won't be able
>>to look up names in your local domain.
>>
>>I'm making some assumptions about why you set things up this way in the
>>first place, and I may be wrong, but there's too little info in your
>>post to give definitive suggestions.
>>

>The anderlying problem is that we are three companies, now connected
>through VPN tunnels. Each company runs it's own DNS server internaly and
>without publicating all its names to Internet. The three DNS are
>10.0.1.201 (mine one), xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy.
>
>Any idea? Yes, in the future we will unify the whole zone, but this is
>not a short term option...

Presumably all three ranges have distinct domain names  E.g. company1.de
company2.de company3.de

I am no expert of DNS, but isn't all you need for each "company" to run
nameservers which are slaves (secondaries) for the other 2 as well as
master of their own?  So the nameserver at company1 is master for
company1.de and is a slave for company2.de and company3.de etc.

Of course, you might want some redundancy in that scenario, with each
company running DNS on another server as well, and that one being a
slave for all 3 domains.

If you don't know enough to do that, I strongly recommend getting the
latest edition of O'Reilly "DNS and BIND"; and you should find BIND doc
on your FreeBSD system starting in /usr/share/doc/bind9/arm/Bv9ARM.html.

Best,

--Alex