OT - Scalable email server solution needed

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Apr 9 03:30:13 UTC 2006

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Bill Moran wrote:

> One advantage of Maildir over mbox and the Cyrus db (that, for some
> reason, I seldom see touted) is that you can make a safe backup of a
> Maildir without shutting down the SMTP, POP, or IMAP server.  With both
> mbox and the Cyrus mail system, you have to shut the mail system down to
> back up the mail boxes.

Why with Cyrus IMAPd?  I just had a major hardware failure, had to restore
30 mail spools from backup, all of which were 'backed up live', and the
only thing I had to do once restored was run the 'reconstruct' command to
make sure the various databases were sync'd up ... and the reconstruct
command can be run while the system is live too ...

----