OpenGL and Intel Graphics [WAS: Cake and Eat it Too: RTCW Port]

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Fri Apr 7 21:04:17 UTC 2006

Jeff Cross schrieb:

>> GL_RENDERER: Mesa GLX Indirect

>>  You are using software Mesa (no hardware acceleration)!
>>  Driver DLL used: libGL.so.1
>>  If this is intentional, add
>>        "+set r_allowSoftwareGL 1"
>>  to the command line when starting the game.

> [...]

> Does anyone know if it is possible to run OpenGL game graphics on an
> Intel based chipset?  When I run glxgears it runs like a champ,
> returning anywhere from 450-500 fps.

You seem to not have direct rendering / GLX enabled. I'm not sure if
that is supported on your particular chipset, but it's nevertheless
worth a try, since pretty much all games assume/require
hardware-accelerated 3d graphics to be working in order to run properly.

Make sure you have

Load "glx"
Load "dri"

in Section "Module" in your xorg.conf as well as

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

Also make sure you have the i915 drm kernel module available (is
available in FreeBSD 6.0 and newer, should be in /boot/kernel/i915.o)
and loaded (check with kldstat, try manually loading it before starting
X if it doesn't get autoloaded).

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org