Running an X application as root? (getting printer set in openoffice)

Oliver Iberien oliver.iberien at charter.net
Fri Apr 7 04:00:00 UTC 2006

No... I didn't know about the cups option for openoffice. I find it mentioned,
now that you mention it, at http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/#howto . I
now see that the option's existence can also be extrapolated from the code
in ./files/Makefile.knobs.

I had no idea that "knob" meant a make option. (The term appears twice in the
whole of the FreeBSD Handbook (in sound-setup.html and firewalls-ipfw.html),
which has been my main source of information.) I wonder if the Makefile.knobs
file is what is read for the blue options screen that sometimes appears to
provide choices before compiling.

My workaround is to use the command kprinter. So openoffice drags up kprinter
and adds an extra step. It's kind of annoying, but I'll wait till an upgrade
of OpenOffice comes along before I compile it (and compile it, and compile
it) again.

Oliver