SCO OPENSERVER

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Fri Apr 7 00:04:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006, Dan Nelson wrote:
>In the last episode (Apr 06), American Eye Center said:
>> I just had a really quick question, the company I work for uses a
>> software that runs on SCO Openserver 5, or later, I have read that
>> Freebsd is compatible with software written for SCO OpenServer, I
>> just wanted some specs as to how compatible you are, the software
>> vendor is being shitty and won't say if there software will run on
>> freebsd, they want us to get sco openserver(i wonder why), freebsd is
>> far superior, and not to mention CHEAPER.  Thanks
>
>FreeBSD's ibcs emulator was actually compatible with SCO 3.2v4.2, not
>OSR 5, and has since bit-rotted due to other kernel changes such that
>it no longer works.  Since there is less than one request a year about
>SCO emulation, it's unlikely to get enough developer attention to ever
>get better :)  I'm surprised there is any software only available for
>SCO anymore.  If you can get your hands on a Linux binary, FreeBSD will
>run that just fine.

A major problem for many SCO users is that their machines tend to run
forever, and there are production applications in use where the original
vendors are long gone, and the source isn't available.  I have customers
who're running applications that actually use binaries compiled for 80286
Xenix.  We've got several of these running on SuSE 9.0 and earlier versions
with 2.4.x kernels and linux-abi.  SCO OpenServer 5.0.<=6a COFF binaries
run well in this environment as well.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``I don't make jokes, I just watch the Government and report the facts...''
    Will Rogers