ipfw and ssh

Anthony M. Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 01:51:02 UTC 2006

Hello everyone,

Allow me to preface my problem by saying that I am very ignorant when
it comes to networking. I do apologize if this is trivial. In any
event, I enabled the "client" ifpw firewall located in /etc/
rc.firewall. This appears to work well for my needs... except for one
additional item. I need someone outside of my network to have SSH
access to my machine. I know his/her IP address. So, I have added
some additional items to rc.firewall for this. Here is what I added.

         # Allow person SSH access
         mip="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
         ${fwcmd} allow tcp from any to any 22 out setup keep-state
         ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from ${mip} to me 22 setup limit src-
addr 2

I have tried many, many differing variations of this from items I
have found online. I cannot get any of them to work. My network setup
is as follows

internet -> cable modem -> netgear router -> freebsd 6.1-prerelease

This user can SSH into my machine when I set the firewall to "open".
Any ideas?