re-attaching STDOUT

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Wed Apr 5 13:09:01 UTC 2006

say one runs a command like so:

tar tvzpf _some_big_tar_file_will_take_hours_to_list.tgz &

then later I exit... leaving it running (note the '&')

How do I later return and grab the output still coming from that command; where
does the output of a command left running in the background go to?

Can I re-direct the output of a given command so a specific ttyv on the machine
itself from a remote command; ie redirect stdout for a given command to ttyv2 ?

(tar was just an example, should apply to _any_ command which gives output to
STDOUT).

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com