localhost dns

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 08:18:10 UTC 2006

Marlon Martin wrote:
> im running localhost dns(127.0.0.1), it works fine but my question is, is
> there any logs where i can check if it really caches remote ip addresses,
> like the website IP address im visiting like hotmail.com cnn google
> freebsd.org. thanks

Try 'rndc dumpdb' to examine the contents of the cache or 'rndc stats'.

The dumpdb command creates a file /var/named/var/dump/named_dump.db and the
stats command appends a short report to /var/named/var/stats/named.stats
by default (although these can be changed very easily by modifying named.conf)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard