Can't configure Xorg of FreeBSD 6.0 STABLE

Michael D. Norwick mnorwick at centurytel.net
Tue Apr 4 02:22:53 UTC 2006

Just got done installing FreeBSD 6.0 STABLE from CD on a Compaq Proliant
2500 formerly running RedHat FC4.  Relatively painless install thank
you, though, I have a steeper learning curve than anticipated.  I am
following the 2005 FreeBSD Handbook and successfully built a new kernel
for this machine, which booted and enabled both processors.  I was
having a niggly problem with a drive so I had to reinstall.  The problem
I had on the first try has re-emerged on this install.  I cannot get
Xorg to start.  I built a proper xorg.conf but when trying to 'startx'
the xserver bombs with a logged 'xf86EnableIO: Failed to open /dev/io
for extended I/O'.  I googled one similar problem from a 5.4 install and
it suggested building a kernel with 'device io'.  It would seem that
GENERIC would have this, though maybe not?  I am using a PCI S3 Virge
card not the onboard Cirrus video device.  My other logs give no clue as
to a device not found.
In addition to the above, the handbook I have, suggests in Chap. 20 -
The Cutting Edge, to do 'make buildworld', 'make buildkernel', and 'make
install kernel'.  Is this the normal order of things, even with a STABLE
source tree?

Thank You,

Michael Norwick