C Program to execute programs in same console

Jonathan Herriott herriojr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 21:39:15 UTC 2006

Hi!

I've come into an interesting problem I've been trying to figure out.
For no other reason than my own interest, I've been trying to get a c
program to execute other programs in the current console I am in
(using kde if that helps).

I tried using system() and execvp() calls to try and execute a cd
command in my current shell, which of course, didn't work.  It seems
to open up a new shell, then execute the command, and then exit that
new shell it had opened.

So, my question is how can I get it to execute a cd in the current
shell using c code.  You don't have to give me the code, just give me
a term to search for or a function to look up.  I'm sure someone knows
how to do it here!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jon