How to recover /usr and /home directory

Gayn Winters gayn.winters at bristolsystems.com
Mon Apr 3 14:17:50 UTC 2006

I assume your old /usr and /home are (or were) partitions.  Check
/etc/fstab and your disklabels for accuracy now.  If bsdlabel can't find
the partitions on your old disk, then you can try using
/usr/ports/sysutils/scan_ffs to rebuild your disklabels if necessary.
You'll then need to rerun fsck to see what you can salvage.

Regarding fsck itself, I suppose one could add intelligence for fsck to
issue ever increasingly stern and obnoxious warnings to backup your data

Good luck on your recovery effort,

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.
714/532-6776