How do you divide your network?? (do you use vlan??)

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Mon Apr 3 12:33:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:19:52 -0800 (PST)
Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I don't want to divide the network by physical topology since users
> frequently transfer to other departments...

 if you add a firewall (pf / ipf /
ipfw) you can control what kind of traffic/broadcast goes where. Of
course, for this you'd need all the different segments to 'terminate'
in a NIC in your pcrouter, rather than all of them together in a
unmanaged switch.

you can get dual and quad interface network cards, so you could have 12
network ports in your pcrouter. then add another one with carp for
redundancy. And dont forget I just gleaned over your email, so I may be
way off the mark ( didn't see any other replies...so I thought at least
I'd get something out there...)

good luck,
Beto