Filesystem layout with sperated /boot partition

Andrew Reitz ajr9 at po.cwru.edu
Mon Apr 3 06:48:35 UTC 2006

On Apr 2, 2006, at 11:16 PM, valentin_nils at be-known-online.com wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I have now a better understanding whats
> possible with
> FreeBSD. One question (last one) which I could not find an answer
> to in the
> online manual is :
>
> How would you do a Dual or multi OS boot machine f.e. with Windows
> on the first
> disk, first slice, first partition and FreeBSD on another partition ?
>
> Would I need a boot floppy or perhaps its not possible at all ?

Hi Valentin,

Dual booting FreeBSD along with other Operating Systems is definitely
possible. And you're right, I couldn't find any reference to how this
can be done in the Handbook either. :)

Basically, it is my understanding that you will want to add a
dedicated FreeBSD partition to your disk, and configure the slices
within that partition as you have learned previously. In terms of how
to boot, while you can use a floppy, there are many boot managers,
that once configured, are more convenient to use than floppies.

I did a quick google, and found a guide that seems to cover this
topic in some depth:

	http://www.faqs.org/docs/win_bsd/index.htm

Good luck,
	-Andy Reitz.