Filesystem layout with sperated /boot partition

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 02:58:25 UTC 2006

On 4/2/06, valentin_nils at be-known-online.com
<valentin_nils at be-known-online.com> wrote:
> Hello FreeBSD Fans,
>
> I wanted to create a new system and was thinking about the following layout.
>
> Size | Mountpoint | Device name | File system
> 100M /boot /dev/ad2s1a UFS2+S
> 1024MB --- /dev/ad2s1b SWAP
> 15GB / /dev/ad2s1c UFS2
>
> I want to put /boot on its own partition, but somehow I dont have a lot of luck.
> I can install the OS, but when I reboot the bootloader will not boot.
>

> No /boot/loader
> Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
> boot:
> No /boot/kernel/kernel

Because it instinctively (without the MBR boot manager)
looks for /boot/kernel/kernel in the first partition of the
first active slice on the first drive.

> 1) I wouldnt mind on which partition "/boot" or "/" sits or what its named, but
> I would like to separate "/boot" on a different partition

Why you would want to do this is a bit unclear.

> 2) The part which I dont get is why is "/" always ad2s1a - even when I create
> "/boot" first ? ("/boot" will become f.e. ad2s1d) and SWAP will become ad2s1b.
>
> So what I end up with is something like
>
> Size | Mountpoint | Device name | File system
> 15GB / /dev/ad2s1a UFS2
> 1024MB --- /dev/ad2s1b SWAP
> 100M /boot /dev/ad2s1d UFS2+S

That's a sysinstall thing.  If you were to muck about
and install your base system without sysinstall you
could place it wherever.  And it probably still won't
boot.

Part of the reason linux wants to make /boot its
own partition is their ugly habit of not seperating
anything else from root.