Video on webservers

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Apr 1 22:17:17 UTC 2006

Darryl Hoar wrote:

><snip>
>

>>"Darryl Hoar" <darryl at osborne-ind.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Greetings,
>>>I have my own freebsd box that is a webserver (running apache).
>>>My wife has a family oriented website on this server.  She
>>>

>>has videos
>>

>>>that she has taken with dvd camcorder.  She used Ulead on her
>>>windows machine to create mpg files but 6 minutes generates 200MB
>>>files.
>>>
>>>What is a good technique to provide video's on a website ?
>>>

>>Putting it on the webserver.
>>
>>However, I expect that there's another, hidden question here.  What is
>>the problem that you're having?  Perhaps I'm slow today, but it seems
>>like you're saying: "I'm going to do this, is that OK?"  If that's the
>>case, then the answer is "yes".
>>
>>--
>>Bill Moran
>>Potential Technologies
>>http://www.potentialtech.com
>>

>What I mean is that the video files she is generating from the dvd camcorder
>are huge for just a few minutes of video.  Since these files are huge, you
>can't realistically view them from the links on the webserver.
>
>Since I am not a video guy, I was wondering if there was a better method to
>provide these videos from our webserver.
>
>Is streaming video the way to go?  Or some variation of what I have tried ?
>
>I know it can be done as I view video from websites all the time.
>
>Thanks for any ideas ,
>Darryl

Probably not the best answer, and some details are lacking (furthermore
it's rather OT), but if she's using ULead on Windows, there's probably a
way around this there.  I do know that the MSFT "Windows Movie Maker"
has various options for output type --- one of these might be more suitable
for 'net distribution.

To be slight more "On" topic for the list: running "make search key=video"
under /usr/ports does show a few programs that might be of assistance,
but I've not tried any of them, myself.

Kevin Kinsey

--
poisoned coffee, n: