Oops: Deleted /var/named

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Apr 1 14:02:19 UTC 2006

daniel <danstemporaryaccount at yahoo.ca> writes:

> Yes, it was dumb, but while I have a backup of all of my domain info and have
> restored it all, starting named gives me this error now:
>
>   devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>   devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>   devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> I can only assume that it has something to do with the files
> in /var/named/dev/ that I have untarred there.  I tried doing a "make
> deinstall; make install" in /usr/ports/dns/bind9 but that didn't create
> anything.  What is the propper way to re-set this up?

I don't use the port, just the base system bind; so I can't guarantee
that this applies.

Normally (on 6.x; you didn't mention, so I assume you're running the
production release) /var/named/dev is a devfs mount installed
automatically by /etc/rc.d/named at boot time. From looking at my
rc.conf file, it looks like that method is the default if you have
named_enable set to YES.  I'm sure there's more information in the
manual for rc.conf(5).

Good luck.