Which xorg driver/setup to use to get all the buttons for a Logitech MX518

Jim Stapleton stapleton.41 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 04:14:46 UTC 2006

I have IMWheel installed and setup, and below is the mouse setting for
my xorg.conf file, however. Buttons 1-7 work just perfectly, however,
8 mimics the wheel-down, and 9 and 10 refuse to do anything, no
matther what I do with imwheel or the utility that lets me remap the
buttons

Oh, and I was wrong in an earlier post, it isn't the driver that they
posted and I couldn't use, it was the protocol (ignore my terminology,
and not the sample mouse-config part with "evdev" in it).

current mouse section of xorg.conf
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device"   "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "Buttons"  "10"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

~/.imwheelrc
  none, Thumb1, Alt_R|Left
  none, Thumb2, Alt_R|Right
  none, Left, Alt_R|Left
  none, Right, Alt_R|Right

~/.xsession and ~/.xinitrc
exec startkde
imwheel -k -b "6789" &

I've tried using every variant of xmodmap that I could to alter the
mapping of 6-10, however, nothing gets buttons other than 6 and 7 to
work properly, and one of the others (I suspect it's 8) to mimic a
completely different button. Unfortunately, button 7 is the only
button that I don't like usin gon this mouse (hard to twist my hand to
press it).

By "not work properly", I mean that in any mapping other than the
default, (except reversing 6 and 7) with xmodmap, the buttons either
do nothing (normally), or act in a manner not previously specifice
(usually by mimicking a scroll up or down button). Mapping 9 and 10
into the place of 6 and 7 (i.e. ' xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
8 6 7" ' or ' xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 6 7 8" ') ensures
that no buttons beyond 5 work.

I strongly suspect that signals from buttons 8-10 aren't reaching the
software that handles them properly. 8 is either being misread or sent
wrong, 9 and 10 appear to simply be dropped.

Thanks,
-Jim