Mounting ext3 problem

nawcom nawcom at nawcom.com
Fri Sep 30 20:21:48 PDT 2005

ext3 is compatible w/ext2 when the dirty bit is not set. When
it is set (one common reason is the filesystem not being correctly
unmounted), journal rollback is necessary which only ext3 can handle.

thats why running fsck_ext2fs on the partition should take care of the
issues.

it doesn't mean your partition is actually "dirty", its just that
freebsd doesn't (usually) attempt to mount partitions that were
incorrectly unmounted.

Let me know if it works. If you dont have ext2 support in fsck yet - you
can find the source in /usr/ports/sysutils/fsck_ext2fs

-Ben