Which MySQL version best to use and with/without linux threads?

martin hudec corwin at aeternal.net
Fri Sep 30 09:37:43 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 09:25:37AM -0700 or thereabouts, Freddie Cash wrote:
> Scott Long and Kris Kenneway ran various benchmarks back in the early
> 5.x days comparing MySQL 4 compiled with LinuxThreads, libc_r, libkse
> (the default threading library on 5.x and 6.x), and libthr.  In almost
> all cases, libkse was just as faster or faster than LinuxThreads.

  I will try google for benchmarks of libkse vs linuxthreads (as my
  production servers are running happily on 6.0-BETA5), cause I has been
  driven into by my colleagues developers to use linuxthreads for mysql
  (we have multiprocessor systems and they say that linuxthreads perform
  better on MP systems than original FreeBSD stuff) - I must admitt that
  I have zero knowledge about threading in FreeBSD :/ so I didn't have
  any objections at all.

> MySQL 5.x hasn't even hit beta yet, you definitely don't want to be
> using it on a production system.  :)

  MySQL 5.0.13 hit release candidate, see:
  http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/news/article_959.html

--
martin hudec

   * 421 907 303 393
   * corwin at aeternal.net
   * http://www.aeternal.net

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible
exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws."

   Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"