pkg_add problem

Josh Ockert torstenvl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 07:30:21 PDT 2005

Uhh... Well my first bet when trying to find stuff on FTP would be to
follow the path that the address given tries to specify. Had you tried,
you would have found that packages-5.3-release doesn't exist under
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/. This would have led you
to wonder how to change the site pkg_add -r uses for packages. This,
appropriately enough, is set in the environment variable PACKAGESITE,
which you could have found by googling the archives (this question came
up maybe a week ago) or reading the man page.

My recommendation would be:
  o Set PACKAGESITE to:
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/
  o pkg_add -rf portupgrade
  o portupgrade -arfP