Complete hangs while extracting source

Jakob Breivik Grimstveit jakob at grimstveit.no
Fri Sep 30 02:28:37 PDT 2005

My entire system stops completely while unpacking large tar files, like when
building OpenOffice2.0-devel. Sound goes into a loop with a timeframe of
0.001 seconds, mouse pointer stops responding, everything goes to a halt.
This lasts about 0.5 seconds, then it starts working again, and then halts
again and so on, until the tarfile is completely uncompressed.

Is this expected behaviour? Is it a broken scheduler? Am I incuding something
in the kernel which I shouldn't have?

[jakobbg at nusse conf]$ grep -i sched /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NUSSE
options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extensions
[jakobbg at nusse conf]$ uname -a
FreeBSD nusse.starshipping.com 5.4-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p7 #17: Tue Sep 13 19:31:11 CEST 2005     root at nusse.starshipping.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NUSSE  i386

Thanks in advance.

--
Jakob Breivik Grimstveit, <http://www.grimstveit.no/jakob/>, 48298152
Besøk Newsergalleriet: <http://www.newsergalleriet.no/>

Just think -- blessed SCSI cables! Do a big enough sacrifice and create a +5
blessed SCSI cable of connectivity.  -- Lionel Lauer