Bacula Won't Allow Me To Mount Next Tape

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu Sep 29 13:05:02 PDT 2005

I've posted this on the bacula-users list but haven't heard anything
yet.  Hoping maybe someone here has come across this.  Google turns up
nothing.

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4 and using bextract 1.36.3 to restore multiple
tape volumes to a drive I lost.  It's giving me the following message:

29-Sep 10:39 bextract: End of Volume at file 16 on device /dev/nsa0,
Volume
"TAPE-0003|TAPE-0004|TAPE-0005|TAPE-0006|TAPE-0010|TAPE-0011|TAPE-0012"
29-Sep 10:39 bextract: bextract Warning: Wrong Volume mounted on device
/dev/nsa0: Wanted TAPE-0004 have TAPE-0003
Mount Volume "TAPE-0004" on device /dev/nsa0 and press return when ready:

OK, I understand it wants me to mount the next volume.  However I can
not get the drive to eject the tape.  It's an HP DLT-30 drive.  I press
the eject button on the drive but get no response.  Any attempts to use
the 'mt' program from FreeBSD result in a "device busy" error.  What
should I try next?

Here's the relevant part of my storage daemon conf file:

---BEGIN---
Device {
 Name = "HP DLT 30"
 Media Type = DLT
 Archive Device = /dev/nsa0
 LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
 AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
 AlwaysOpen = yes;
 RemovableMedia = yes;
 RandomAccess = no;
# From the port info:
# Due to lack of some features in the FreeBSD tape driver
# implementation you MUST add some OS dependent options to
# the bacula-sd.conf file:

 Hardware End of Medium = no;
 Backward Space Record = no;
 Backward Space File = no;