IPFW logging and dynamic rules

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 08:45:44 PDT 2005

In FreeBSD 5.4R, I tried an IPFW configuration that includes something
like this (plus a lot of other rules):

   check-state
   deny tcp from any to any established
   allow log tcp from any to ${my-ip} dst-port 22 setup limit src-addr 3
+ other rules that use keep-state

When I do this, _every_ ssh packet is logged, in both directions.  To
get it to log ONLY the initial connection, I had to give up on using
dynamic rules for ssh and instead do something like:

   allow log tcp from any to ${my-ip} dst-port 22 setup
   allow tcp from any to ${my-ip} dst-port 22 established
   allow tcp from ${my-ip} 22 to any established
   check-state
   deny tcp from any to any established
+ other rules that use keep-state

So now I have lost the per-host ssh limit rule I wanted to include,
and I am filtering packets on flags that can be spoofed
("established") rather than the actual dynamic state of the
connection.  Am I wrong to believe there is an advantage to this?

Is there some way to get the first version to log only the initial
packet while still retaining the dynamic limit src-addr rule?

Thanks,

- Bob