FreeBSD Upgrade from 5.2 to 5.4

Aaron Siegel aj at siegel-tech.net
Thu Sep 29 07:54:59 PDT 2005

Jay

Read
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/install-steps.html

I think I understand your question.  Sysinstall's label editor does not obtain
the labels from an existing installation, you have to relabel the all of the
partitions everytime you run sysinstall.  When I perform an upgrade using
binaries I write down the output of the df command and use that to relabel
the partitions. I have attached some examples of the disklabel editor bellow.
The first is what the disk editor should look like before when you open it
for the first time, the second is the out put of df, and the third is the
disklabel with the mount points setup(corresponds to the df output).  The Y
and N tell the installer wheather you want to reformat that partition or
leave it alone. Be very carefull with this. I reformat my / and /usr, if you
have any data other than the system in these directories back them up.

Bellow is an example of what the disklabel editor should look like when you
first run sysinstall:

 FreeBSD Disklabel Editor

Disk: ad0       Partition name: ad0s1   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)
Disk: ad0       Partition name: ad0s2   Free: 61432560 blocks (29996MB)
Disk: ad0       Partition name: ad0s3   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)

Part      Mount          Size Newfs   Part      Mount          Size Newfs
----      -----          ---- -----   ----      -----          ---- -----
ad0s1b    swap         1024MB SWAP
ad0s1a    <none>        256MB *
ad0s1d    <none>      28716MB *
ad0s3d    <none>      92632MB *

The following commands are valid here (upper or lower case):
C = Create        D = Delete   M = Mount pt.            W = Write
N = Newfs Opts    Q = Finish   S = Toggle SoftUpdates   Z = Custom Newfs
T = Toggle Newfs  U = Undo     A = Auto Defaults        R = Delete+Merge

The output of df:
<root at soyo># df
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    253678    71116   162268    30%    /
devfs               1        1        0   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s1d  28476004 13801282 12396642    53%    /usr
/dev/ad0s3d  93352888 16840342 69044316    20%    /usr/home
linprocfs           4        4        0   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc
/dev/cd0       530556   530556        0   100%    /cdrom

This is how it should look for performing the install

FreeBSD Disklabel Editor

Disk: ad0       Partition name: ad0s1   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)
Disk: ad0       Partition name: ad0s2   Free: 61432560 blocks (29996MB)
Disk: ad0       Partition name: ad0s3   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)

Part      Mount          Size Newfs   Part      Mount          Size Newfs
ad0s1b    swap		1024MB	  SWAP
ad0s1a    /             	256MB	  UFS2   Y
ad0s1d    /usr/home	28716MB UFS2+S N
ad0s3d    /usr        	92632MB UFS2+S Y

The following commands are valid here (upper or lower case):
C = Create        D = Delete   M = Mount pt.            W = Write
N = Newfs Opts    Q = Finish   S = Toggle SoftUpdates   Z = Custom Newfs
T = Toggle Newfs  U = Undo     A = Auto Defaults        R = Delete+Merge

On Tuesday 27 September 2005 9:18 pm, Jay Moore wrote