upgrading

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 02:30:20 PDT 2005

On 9/29/05, eoghan <freebsd at redry.net> wrote:

> On 28 Sep 2005, at 21:46, Beecher Rintoul wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 28 September 2005 12:28 pm, eoghan wrote:
> >
> >> Hello
> >> Im going to do a fresh install of 5.3 over the weekend, then id like
> >> to upgrade to 5.4. My reasons for upgrading are: ill have to do it
> >> some time or another and I cant always rely on having my trusty dvd
> >> with me. So, the question is: what is the best way to do an upgrade?
> >> I figure ill do the install, make sure its all ok, and before I go
> >> ahead and install anything ill upgrade. I did hear people say that
> >> using the sysinstall isnt the way to go - maybe or maybe not? So any
> >> opinions here on how it should be done would be appreciated.
> >>

> > To save yourself some time, just boot from your disk change the tag
> > in the
> > options screen to 5.4-RELEASE and do a net install. No need to
> > start from
> > 5.3.
> >
> > Beech
>
> Thanks for your advice. and thank you Derrick. I will read into those
> articles. Mike, the main reason is just so I can learn how to do it.
> Im using freebsd on my other computer only to learn it.
> Thanks all
> Eoghan

The Handbook has an excellent article on updating:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

For 5.3-5.4 or 5.3-6.0 or 5.4-6.0 transition you'll have to:

1. cvsup
2. make buildworld && make buildkernel
3. make installkernel && make installworld
4. mergemaster  # be careful here
5. shutdown -r now

Personally I tried each of these three transiotions and
had absolutely no problem, though it did require some
attention and reading.

Have fun!

Andrew P.