SCSI tape drive

Van Diep vandi3p at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 21:45:40 PDT 2005

Dear all,

I am a newbies to BSD world so bare with me a moment here please.. I
inherited this freebsd 4.10-RELEASE server and i was told to install a DLT
20/40 tape drive to the server.

So, what i did was;
1. shutdown the server
2. Install the Adaptec SCSI card into the PCI slot in the server
3. Connect the tape drive to the server
4. Power up the tape drive then the server

I though thats all i need to do to get it working but i was wrong..

I tried;
red1# mt status
mt: /dev/nsa0: Device not configured
AND
red1# mt -f /dev/rsa0 status
mt: /dev/rsa0: Device not configured

When i did a
red1# camcontrol devlist -v
scbus0 on ata0 bus 0:
<SONY DVD RW DRU-700A VY02> at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)
< > at scbus0 target -1 lun -1 ()
scbus1 on ata1 bus 0:
< > at scbus1 target -1 lun -1 ()
scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
< > at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)

As i'm not sure what this camcontrol list means, can someone please explain?

It doesn't seems like the server detect the new tape drive. I google around,
didn't find anything hopefull.

Does anyone have any ideas what i did wrong or suggestions that i can try?

Thanks in advance!