dream editor

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Sep 28 19:08:59 PDT 2005

	Folks,

	This may be considered OT by some, but it hits home with
	me given my continual use of editors/WP's.   My dream
	word processor or an Gnome app like gedit would include
	at least a few vi-isms.  (I've known about xemacs for years;
	it has a vi-like drops, so the user has that option. )
	I'm also familiar with vim and gvim.  --I just found the
	autoindent feature in gedit.

	How much work (and it is serious hacking) to integrate the
	some of vi into a GUI/Gnome or KDE editor?  I like the newer
	AbiWord and the growing stability of OO.   But my fingers
	have been using vi BillJoy finished it.  vi beats the hell
	out of (forgive me!) ed.

	I'm likely among the few who this matters to; but I'd like
	to see some reasoned discussion.  Flames to /dev/null,
	please.

	gary

	PS:  Didn't "knews" let people reply with a large vi-like
	     thing that popped up?

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix