Creating IPSec VPN between FreeBSD and Linksys WRV54G

Denis Lemire dlemire at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 18:57:30 PDT 2005

I have setup many IPSec FreeBSD VPN's using racoon and gif interfaces.

On the FreeBSD side I've got:
gif0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
        tunnel inet [LOCAL_WAN_IP] --> [REMOTE_WAN_IP]
        inet 172.31.1.1 --> 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffffff

I have the usual setkey policies in /etc/ipsec.conf (loaded with setkey -f).

The router and the BSD box are establishing IKE no problem according
to racoon logs, however I can't actually get any traffic across.
Clearly there is something about the Linksys implementation that I'm
not familiar with. Anybody have any luck with this particular setup?