portaudit question.....

martinko martinkov at pobox.sk
Wed Sep 28 16:39:20 PDT 2005

Wright Jim Contractor 14MDSS/SGSI wrote:
> To keep the story short:
>

> I'm using version FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #6: Thu Aug 25 09:12:43 CDT 2005;
> pasted from the dmesg.boot file.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, I'm using CVSup, pkgdb -F, and portupgrade
> commands correctly.
>
> But, I'm pretty sure I'm still overlooking and/or leaving something out.
>

> I just discovered the portaudit command and ran it against my system.
>
> It comes up with 15 items that need to be upgraded or deinstalled.
>
> For this question I'll use Mozilla.
>
> The version it reports is Mozilla-1.7.7,2.
>

> When I go to http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
> <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html>  and do a search for Mozilla, I
> find that Mozilla-1.7.12,2 is the latest (stable) version.
>

> I guess my question is this.
>
> How do I use the FreeBSD tools, Ports/Packages, etc, to install this latest
> version??
>
> Or am I missing the concept altogether ?
>
> ( I understand the process of downloading this latest version and installing
> it manually. Just trying to understand and use the FreeBSD tools )
>

> Thanks for any and all help,
>
> Jim Wright
>
> Columbus, Mississippi

jim,

i recommend using portsnap instead of cvsup, especially if you update
your ports tree often. then use portversion instead of pkg_version, it's
much faster. and always and periodically run portaudit. you don't need
your ports tree to be updated for portaudit to be effective, btw.

so based on what i said, here's a procedure to follow:

/usr/local/sbin/portsnap fetch
/usr/local/sbin/portsnap update
/usr/local/sbin/portversion -v -l "<"
/usr/local/sbin/portaudit -Fda

hope that helps.

regards,

martin

ps: regarding mozilla, if it's not packaged on freebsd's ftp server
(that is pkg_add doesn't help), you've got to install it from ports
(that is to compile it).