make package

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Wed Sep 28 13:58:35 PDT 2005

Hello!

I have a web server (ca 20 vhosts) currently running with
php4-cgi-4.3.10_2 port and a lot of PHP4 extensions ports such as
php4-ctype-4.3.10_2, php4-dbase-4.3.10_2 etc. I want to upgrade all
those ports to PHP 4.4.0.

As I've seen some websites break afer they'd been upgraded from PHP
4.3.10 to PHP 4.4.0, I'd like to have a quick way to go back to 4.3.10
if 4.4.0 doesn't work for me.

I was thinking about doing a 'make package' beforehand for each PHP4
port that I currently have installed. Then, if things turn out bad, I
could just uninstall the PHP 4.4.0 ports and install those packages.

When I originally installed the PHP4 ports, I didn't run 'make clean' in
port directories, so all the port directories still contain 'work'
subdirectories. However, the ports tree itself has been cvsupped since
then, so the port skeletons are actually PHP 4.4.0 already.

If I would run 'make package' in a such a port subdirectory, what would
it do? Would it make a package of existing 4.3.10 version, or try to
build 4.4.0 and make package of that?

---
... Terminator virus found: Use ILLBE.BAK?